Kylie Covark was raised on a steady diet of books and believes passionately in the power of stories for young people. She shares information about reading with children, and about her writing, on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, as well as her website, picklesandpords.com.
Kylie’s debut picture book is ‘Float or Sink’, illustrated by Andrew Plant, published by Ford Street. Kylie was an inaugural recipient of a mentorship through Raising Literacy Australia’s Emerging Author and Illustrator Mentoring Project (2019-2020). Her second book ‘Tilly’s First Day Twist’, will be illustrated by Robin Tatlow-Lord and published by Little Book Press.
Kylie has been awarded first prize in the CYA Conference Picture Book Competition (2018) and the Writers Unleashed Picture Book Writing Competition (2019).
When she is not in her writing cave, Kylie can be found teaching at the Adelaide Law School, staring longingly at travel brochures, or chasing after her three marvellous children. The children are, inevitably, also being raised on a steady diet of books. Their mother now takes hers with a generous side of chocolate.
You can also find some of my poems at: Australian Children’s Poetry
Awards and Publications
Debut picture book: ‘Float or Sink?’
Written by Kylie Covark. Illustrated by Andrew Plant. Published by Ford Street Publishing.
What happens if a ladybug lands on a stick in a creek?
What about a flea or a fly?
A gnat or a slug?
Or… a greedy duck?
What do you think? Float or sink?
Now available order. Please leave a note if you’d like me to add an inscription to someone: https://checkout.square.site/buy/RHSSD5RXBD6YDKNH5ZUZ5UZC
Raising Literacy Australia’s Emerging Author and Illustrator Mentoring Project
Picture book due for publication 2021 with Little Book Press
‘Tilly’s First Day Twist’
Written by Kylie Covark. Illustrated by Robin Tatlow-Lord.
Scribbles Creative Writing Awards 2020
Shortlisted – ‘Pom and Bear go to Space’
Shortlisted – ‘Once Upon a Monkey’s Sneeze’
Writers Unleashed Festival – Picture Book Writing Competition 2019
Scribbles Creative Writing Awards 2019
‘Float or Sink?’
…And now it’s a real book! Hooray!…
Poem for Children
Spooktacular Stories: Thrilling Tales for Brave Kids
Story included in anthology
CYA Conference – Writing and Illustrating Competition
First Place: Picture Book – Preschool (Aspiring Authors)
A Letter to Post
Toolangi C.J. Dennis Poetry and Short Story Competition
Second Place: Open Poetry
- Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators
- Writers SA
- The Children’s Book Council of Australia – SA Branch
Conferences and Workshops
- 4 Weeks to Write a Junior Fiction Story with Jen Storer
- CYA – Brisbane – including Picture Book Bootcamp and Middle Grade Bootcamp
- SCBWI SA Winter Retreat and Professional Day – Adelaide
- Scribbles Academy – online
- KidLitVic – Melbourne
- How To Write For Children and Young Adults – Australian Writers’ Centre – Online
- Writing Picture Books – Australian Writers’ Centre – Online
- Junior, Middle Grade & YA Writing: Know Your Audience – SA Writers’ Centre – Adelaide
- Metre Matters – Jackie Hosking – Online
- SCBWI Winter Retreat – Adelaide
- Digital Poetry – SA Writers’ Centre – Adelaide
- CYA Conference – Brisbane
- Writing Picture Books – WEA – Adelaide
Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by and visit!